Monday, April 02, 2007

1 Apr 07

Time:

?

Money:

$13, pancakes again (buttermilk this time, and much better), Annie's.

More interesting things:

Noticed, as I was trying to attack my paper through Google Scholar rather than the uncooperative library links, that under the Scholar search bar is the line "Stand on the shoulders of giants." I don't know what Google person came up with that (or if, in fact, they yoinked it from somewhere else), but whoever decided to put it there summed the whole game up so nicely I had to keep re-reading it.

Went on a treasure hunt for some Bartholomae: I'd cited someone who had cited someone else quoting directly from whatever it was ol' Bart. had written. Finally I chased down the piece that listed the actual original in its bibliography, which informed me that - dammit - I was in fact looking for a book, not a journal, and therefore probably not something I'd be able to get immediately. Except! I looked a little closer at the citation and found that - holy crap - it had been published in one of the first books Professor Number Four ever gave me and was, consequently, right in my living room where I could have found it back in December! Needless to say, I had to fire off an email to Number Four right away; just a little bit later, I got a really nice reply. (Check old emails for exact content.)

Went on another hunt - this one for Hillocks, and of all the places in the online world where he and his book could have been hiding, he happened to be hosted not just by my own university but by my school. Ha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home