Sunday, April 01, 2007

30 Mar 07

Time:

?

Money:

$4, muffin and V8 juice, lunch place.
$5, half a scallion pancake, a big ol' dish of rice and spicy chicken, and tip, Yeah something or other in Chinatown.
$5, black sesame ice cream, Chinatown Ice Cream Factory (right next door to the Yeah place, don't you know.)
$50, a very cute Mexican dinner with Rebecca, Viva Pancho (I think.)
$4, desperately-needed bottle of water, the Pirate Queen place (I don't know its name.)
$0 (because Rebecca's cousin very nicely treated us), glass of wine, the truly wicked 30th-floor bar at the Hilton.

More interesting things:

Watched a lady sitting across from me on the train reposition a large orange dot sticker on the lid of her coffee. I'm sure its purpose was originally to indicate whether it had milk or sugar in it or something, but for me all it did was remind me of the "safety dot" we all had to wear on our watches at summer camp, causing me to laugh almost out loud (I forget about these things when I'm listening to my iPod) and then contemplate whether I was making the people around me a little nervous.

Got, in a geographical young-male-related development from my favorite college town outwards, "We Are the Boys" followed immediately by "Long-Haired Country Boy."

Realized, as I traisped through Chinatown past beak-hanging roasted ducks and completely unidentifiable vegetables thinking about the day as a whole - the car alarm that woke me up before my own alarm... my plan to dodge through SoHo on the quest for a new shirt... looking forward to dinner near Times Square, a Broadway show, and a drink with one of the musicians - that it might end up being one of the most New-Yorkish yet. (It turned out I was pretty much spot on.)

Sat listening to one of my student-teachers review a story featuring a) Chippewas and b) the Vietnam War, and in consequence really had to work to hold myself back. When everyone was wondering about feathers, though, I absolutely had to call the student-teacher over and help her out, resulting in a gracious and very enthusiastic invitation to come back and be "the visitor" (whatever that means, exactly) for this story after the break.

Walked back from the train (without a new shirt, but what are you gonna do besides look forward to shorts-shopping) behind a little girl with the most colorful set of braid clips I'd ever seen. Her head looked like one of those spring-y, spiral-y gift ribbons we're fond of at home, and it was wicked cool.

Noticed that to a large extent, the doormen have come out of hiding: Spring in New York!

Enjoyed that Mexican dinner I mentioned, featuring a fair amount of commentary about "beauties." Oy. But funny.

Enjoyed also the show that came afterwards. As Rebecca and I concluded, most musicals are over the top, and this one was up even higher, but it was really terrific and I'm glad I had the chance to go - particularly since the wine, the bar itself, and especially the musician-cousin were all so lovely in addition. (Thanks, lady!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home