Wednesday, December 20, 2006

20 Dec 06

Time:

Hopping down the lion stairs at 1300, asking whether my flight really was delayed (with freshly purchased lunch in hand, no less) 1442.

Money:

$doesn't even bear thinking about.

More interesting things:

Made the usual turn out of Astor Place past the Starbucks and did a double-take when I spotted a guy carving a gorgeous walking stick at a table inside.

Commented to my desk-neighbor that you have to love a profession characterized - even if only in part, because I know all too well about the sniping and politicking and all that stupid stuff - by the congeniality and conVIViality of the potluck taking place this afternoon.

Carried myself and my slight tension headache across the second floor and thought I was going to get really irritated before I made it out of there; as is well established, I'm not real crazy about the ends of things, to include semesters of college. But - I shouldn't have been surprised - Professor Alpha helped me out. First he commented appreciatively on the "little piles... who made these little piles so nice?" I'd fixed on his perenially messy table. Then, when he was on his determined way out to the potluck (and the "booze"), he stopped and gave me one of those sideways hugs, a good one, and told me that he was "really glad you've been here this fall...", so on and so forth. Finally, on my determined way out - to the library - I passed him in the former chair's office, stopped, backed up, and got a very animated kiss thrown at me.

Stopped for a quick exchange of break-related pleasantries with one of the guards who knows me, turned away from him, and ran into my other favorite one, the bald guy. Since I was standing right in front of him at that point, I leaned toward him for a handshake and a hug and departed on the sound of calls exhorting me "don't be a stranger!"

Smiled back at the LIRR motorman who, no doubt, was partially motivated to grin as he did because of the schleppy, camel-style figure I cut as I dropped down the stairs and down the platform.

Hopped off at Jamaica to the reminders of "Collect your personal belongings! Hats! Gloves! Booties! Scarves! It's COLD out there!" You cannot make this stuff up.

Remembered that one of the sponsors - whether of Lincoln Center or the National Choral Council I'm not sure - was none other than Herricks High School, clear contender for the Most Northeastern-Sounding School Name of All Time Award.

Spotted, among rows and rows of other newer ones, a relatively old-school LIRR car marked in dignified blue font stretching almost the length of the train, "METROPOLITAN TRANSIT AUTHORITY."

Wondered more than idly why there was a green road sign somewhere below the AirTrain track marked "KISS AND FLY."

Signed off from blogging until my January return to the city.... Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home