Wednesday, January 17, 2007

16 Jan 07

Time:

?

Money:

?

More interesting things:

Spent the vast majority of the day at my desk, which meant I didn't see a whole lot outside but did get a few fun things from the people around me. For instance, the morning began with me contentedly slouching into Professor Alpha's office (as usual, these days) and escalated when one of the professors from down the hall came in for a conversation about dinner, birds, interior decorator neighbors, and the Poconos - pretty much in that order - which turned into less of a two-person discussion and more of a two-person explanation for my benefit, which was weird but pleasant. Then Professor Number Four came in with something for Professor Alpha to sign; it took me whole minutes to nose out what they were talking about, but when they concluded with some comments about how someone was "finally finishing" and that "maybe he'll actually do it this time," I managed to divine that the slowpoke in question had at last made it to his oral defense; this became explicitly clear when Number Four pointed at me and looked over the top of his glasses while exhorting that "YOU" (which is to say, me) "HAD BETTER NOT TAKE THAT LONG." I laughed, of course, and all the more when Alpha jumped in with, "Oh, no, no," Number Four stopped and agreed that I would be sure to get a dissertation done on George Kelly post-haste, and Alpha finished it up with, "No no, we don't have to worry about this one." All of which I appreciate, even if some of it might have been - not necessarily was, but could have been - a thinly-veiled directive as much as a statement of confidence.

Told Professor Alpha, after everyone had left and we were able to continue - for a few minutes - with our earlier talk - that I was very fond of Professor Number Four; when he told me that Number Four already knew that and I asked how, I was told that I'm "not exactly a great poker player." I protested, of course, based on the idea that I don't NEED to keep a game face as far as this is concerned, but Alpha was already on to his usual series of "Yeah! Yeah! Sure, sure, sure..." which serves as the amusing signal that a) he doesn't care what you're saying and b) it's time to get on with your next point.

Enjoyed a cup of coffee, delivered to my desk by none other than Professor Alpha himself. To borrow from a comment made by the Poconos prof concerning her neighbor, it's good people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home