Sunday, December 03, 2006

2 Dec 06

Time:

?

Money:

$14, pumpkin pancakes and coffee, Annie's.
$16, yogurt, muffin, and beverages, Cafe University.
$24, burger and beer, Jack Russell's.
$9, cherry cake and coffee, Andre's Cafe.
$30, margaritas, Mustang.

More interesting things:

Sat enjoying a cold blue city Saturday morning, waiting for a table at Annie's, when a guy walking past noticed the orange-and-blue "O-R-I" that was visible between the open edges of my black coat and announced, "Hey, I'm a Gator!" I asked if he'd ever been to the Gin Mill (yes, but it would be too crazy for him that night) and whether he was going to watch the SEC Championship (of course!)

Walked past a real estate office, I think, in the window of which hung a long blue satin ribbon with orange letters spelling out GO GATORS. (It worked.)

Caught the train downtown - that is to say, in the direction of our study room at the library - at 77th, where there is a really lovely gold, red, and pink mosaic involving roses or something over a short, wide staircase down to the platform. I don't know if it always looks that festive, or if that was more a product of the atmosphere added to the colors, but whatever it was, it seemed an unusually beautiful example of subway artwork.

Passed my "smile, it's downhill right here!" friend, and this time I was prepared enough to turn and call over my shoulder, "Hey, I like you, man!" which got a great smile back.

Passed, shortly thereafter, another guy, this one carefully holding a big round goldfish bowl containing... a goldfish. I admire a person who takes his pet fish to breakfast with him, because that's where he was going: to get crepes or something.

Left the library in the direction of Jack Russell's under a sky that was very clearly dark enough to be night but still somehow glowed deep, dark blue - not purple, not black. It was like that afternoon blue - Twelve o' Clock Blue, I think I once called it - but turned down as if Chroma the Conductor had the blue section at, like, largo or something, and everyone else was at rest.

Packed into a very tight uptown car, right next to a small boy - maybe three or so - in a stroller, with dad right behind him. My coat brushed against the kid, so after that I had his attention: peek-a-boo, smiles, the whole thing. This, of course, was amusing and enjoyable in itself, but the best part came after someone on the platform directed the people inside to move together so he could get on, as if there were just acres of space left on the train. I responded to this with a fairly loud and thoroughly exasperated "Are you KIDding me?"... only to feel a tug on my coat and a little voice - with perfect inflection - ask, "Are you KIDding me?" If there had been room left, I would have fallen over; as it was, Rebecca and I couldn't quit laughing, partly because it was so funny and partly, I have to say, because I was really glad I hadn't said anything worse!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home