Thursday, November 30, 2006

30 Nov 06

Time:

?, because despite my best efforts to determine the total length of the midday gym trip from my desk and back again, I was foiled by the (express) Q and R trains, when what I wanted, of course, was the N or the W....

Money:

$6, yogurt, coffee, and a pretty good fat-free berry bran muffin, Cafe University.
$6, pet food, gym store.
$12, lunch-for-dinner, the usual place (duh.)
$4, maple macchiato, campus Starbucks.

More interesting things:

Walked past a lone running shoe in the middle of the sidewalk along University Place. It was an old but decent shoe - Asics, I think - and I can't quite fathom how it got there. It occurs to me now that maybe it, like, fell out of someone's gym bag or something, because if it started out on a foot, how did its owner keep trucking? Barefoot in the city?

Read an email from my grandfather that tied together a bunch of weird but exceptionally pleasant contrasts of place. His note was full of updates about Gainesville, of course, but I sat enjoying it here: an email from HIS desk near MY university, read at MY desk at HIS university.

Walked, gloriously unencumbered, having left my stuff in the recesses under my "study carrel," to Metro and the bank, past a creative guy whose sign said, "Fuck milk! Got cash?"

Stood waiting a long time for the N (after the fascinating trips back and forth to Union Square with a slightly sketchy wait at Prince Street in between) with a bunch of people who obviously had already been waiting quite awhile when I got there; upon its appearance way down the tunnel, a guy just a few feet down the platform from me let out an honest and entirely unrestrained "YEAAA!"

Passed not just a Florida license plate on my street as I made it back to my apartment but one from good ol' PBC. It's weird to think that in the head of the person who drove that car here is very likely some of the same information about Military Trail and Delray Beach and so on as lives in my head, but both our heads are in Manhattan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home