Saturday, November 11, 2006

9 Nov 06

Time:

?

Money:

?

More interesting things:

Headed for the subway and walked past a guy who appeared to be delivering Dunkin Donuts. I'm trying to imagine a situation in which that would seem to be a reasonable option, and I'm only coming up with, like, a business meeting, but he had just three coffees. So - I have no idea.

Sat - since it was already early afternoon - across from a guy on the train who was exceptionally well-coordinated: baggy brown jeans, a couple of shirts all in shades of light brown, a bulky brown jacket, a brown Yankees cap... and a Big Brown Bag from Bloomingdale's. Clearly that was not an accident. I wonder if he bought, say, the pants there, and maybe he told the clerk he really needed a bag to go with them, and when she suggested heading to the leather section of the store he just told her, "No, the one you're about to hand me will be perfect."

Decided that I really like the implications of those "Cheat on NY" advertisements Delta has up all over the place. They say goofy stuff like "Flirt with Kiev" and "Have a Fling with Puerto Rico" (or something; I'm not positive about that last one, but it's pretty close), and it only occurred to me today that of course you can only "cheat" if you also love: a clever inversion of the classic I [heart] NY stuff.

Overheard two guys on University Place discussing the merits of Hava Nagila as a song for pleasurable listening. I really wanted to jump in and not only agree but suggest the version by Ben Folds Five; somehow, I managed to restrain myself.

Went to the computer lab to reprint my critical summary and waited just in front of a smiling lady who noticed my shirt and informed me, as she started up her laptop, that she had gone to Florida too. She was in journalism, so I told her about telecommunications production, and then we shared the observation that there are a ton of us at this school. At that point, it was my turn for the lab, so we didn't get to discuss anything else, but still... it's nice to think just how many people in this town would know, for instance, about the Archer Road reference I made a couple of days ago.

Hit All About Food (and there we have at least one answer for money spent) for coffee, and sat near a table which had been taken over by the ladies of the Red Hat Club... to that, all I can say is, awesome.

Saw a man wearing a tie - it was different shades of reddish-gold with a kind of floral design - that reminded me of drinking glasses, I think? At Aunt Mary Lou's house? It was very, very strange that I should make such an association, but it was quite a strong sense and now I'm wondering just what Aunt Mary Lou's glasses did in fact look like. (Hey, everyone's gotta have something to think about.)

Watched on the subway ride back from school as a man took his restless, climbing toddler son (I mean, I guess) from his wife (another guess, of course), perched the baby up sitting on top of his forearms, and gently attached the hand of a very small commuter to the bar overhead. This, I guess, is what you do after a long day of hide-and-seek with George in Washington Square: learn to be a straphanger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home