Sunday, October 29, 2006

28 Oct 06

Time:

?

Money:

$218, the black coat that suddenly seemed very reasonably priced given all our hunting at discount stores, Banana Republic.
$24, three pints of Bass (one of which I think the bartender actually gave me on the house) and half an order of wings, Blondie's.
$5, coffee, Starbucks by my apartment.

More interesting things:

Went to Ship of Fools with Alex and his girlfriend, and it lived up to its great rating. A worker (I think he might have been a manager or even an owner, actually) was waiting outside the door, and I thought we were going to be carded, but no: he just asked whether we preferred table or bar and what game we wanted to watch. All three of us were a little taken aback at that, but we recovered sufficiently to follow the guy to a nice corner table with a TV - and sound, may I add - right on top of the banquette bench. And on top of all that, they had Woodchuck on tap, good chow, and a nice waitress who gave us little candies for dessert. I will definitely be headed back there sometime in the near future.

Watched the first half of the Georgia game from our little round-table Gator nest, and went nuts for the first touchdown - seven points for us with nine minutes and eleven seconds to go in the first quarter. Interesting, since I had already been thinking about the weird, fun, comforting, and strangely familiar experience of watching Florida football with Florida friends... in Manhattan.

Rode the crosstown bus with a guy in a royal-blue-and-gold Chinese pajama-looking outfit; he had a hat and a long black braid to go with it. It occurs to me now that it might have been a Halloween costume - I saw Mr. Peanut a little later - but I don't really think so.

Went right on with my day of Gainesville-New York confluence as I waited for Anne at Blondie's (in a Gallop t-shirt, incidentally, with my black NYU sweatshirt) and listened to not just Tom Petty, for chrissakes, but American Girl. Has anyone else sat in that bar and had reason to think of Beaty freaking Towers, or is it just me?

Joked around with the bartender - who fixed shot-sized Mind Erasers for himself and his friends, by the way; let's go back to Gainesville just ONE more time while we're at it - about the slow music on XM. I also got splashed with some vodka-and-cranberry that another bartender was shaking, so when I asked her what she was fixing, she asked kind of sheepishly, "Enough for you guys to have some?" (They were good.) And then, to round things out, we were invited to join what Anne figured looked like a bachelor party by some fairly cute and very drunk guys, which cracked me up. As amusing as it probably would have been to stick around, that's when we headed out, but we've already decided to try to come back another time when that crowd - well, at least the cool bartender - is there.

Decided that the past few days (including today) have been quite Weetzie Bat-ish, thanks to Mike and drinking in the afternoon.

Ordered a whole stack of books (and one DVD - Big Bird Goes to China; I'm very excited) with the giftcards Ben was so nice to give me, and discovered not only that a book called Subwayland seemed like it would be a fun read, but that it would cost $11.86, kind of a funny number for a price but an excellent number for a house on Bruce Street.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home