Saturday, October 21, 2006

21 Oct 06

Time:

?

Money:

$12, lunch, lunch place.
$4, maple Frappuccino (which caused Roey to laugh at me and accuse me of drinking ice cream.)
$28, a ton of wings and two beers, Blondie's.

More interesting things:

Called my dad to wish him a happy birthday, of course.

Rode down to the gym on a train whose driver (or conductor, probably) added a long "Uhhh..." to his descriptions of where we were - and were not - going. It made it very clear that there was a real person in there, and one, moreover, who was thinking carefully before he gave out that information.

Repeated said conductor's directions as far as getting to Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn to a couple of kids - maybe young high schoolers or older middle schoolers - who needed to go to Bowling Green, apparently for a school project. They both had mouths like longshoremen, but when you ignored that you realized that the girl was probably really smart and the boy wasn't far behind. She was not taking any guff from him at all, and harassed him about writing his research paper ("Pfff... how you gonna do ten pages if you can't even do five?" "I can DO five! I can do TEN!"), where to go ("She [meaning me] just SAID you change at the Brooklyn Bridge for the J shuttle!" "Yeah, but it doesn't say Bowling Green!" "For the love of Christ [this is not something you hear 14-year-olds come up with too often] just do what I tell you") and so on. Then, of course, the uhhh conductor repeated it once again himself, and the poor boy got a really classic "Duh" look from his friend. And on top of all that, they seemed extremely good-natured, and invested in doing their project correctly. Excellent.

Passed an immigrants' rights rally in Union Square. I hadn't seen anything like that there yet, so I appreciated it, but I was too hungry to stand around for long.

Saw, in the entrance to the garage on University Place, a smaller version of the banner I had correctly guessed read "I [heart] Rex" a couple of weeks ago; what's more, I found out that I do in fact know exactly what "Rex" is: that rooster wine. It's called HRM Goliath Rex, the Giant 47-Pound Rooster, and I guess it's marketed at the crowd that's been buying up so many "critter wines" that that actually became a category (!). This is not to say that I don't think it's pretty cool myself, actually; roosters are good, and wine is good, so maybe rooster wine is even better. I'll have to give it a try one of these days.

Studied with Anne and Roey in... the plane room. Normally we score a study room in the very bottom of the library, where cell phone stripes are impossible to come by but the renovations are pretty new. Today, on the other hand, we found ourselves on the sixth floor (and barely that much; for some reason everyone else was snorking up the space today) in a perfectly nice room that sounded and smelled like a 757 getting ready to take off. I'm pretty sure this was a combination of the air conditioning noise and the cologne of one or more of the guys we evicted, but still. It was weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home