Saturday, October 21, 2006

20 Oct 06

Time:

Left apartment 1814, arr "our" Italian restaurant 1826.

Money:

$8, caffeine supply and deodorant, Gristede's Pharmacy.
$54, peanut butter, cookbook, and shipping to G'ville, PB Co. online.

More interesting things:

Zipped all the way to the restaurant, thoroughly enjoying the COLD. And it was; the rain blew out, the wind blew in and brought a genuine chill along with it. I was very glad I had my jacket, and it probably wouldn't have been a tragedy if I'd had some gloves!

Allowed my senses to take me on a quick tour of the fall and winter. It started with getting ready to meet Ben and his parents for dinner, because somehow putting on real clothes that late in the day - especially when it's cold - reminds me of our Christmas vacations, when we have to change from ski stuff to... well, a collared shirt at least. So that was feeling. Then, somewhere on the voyage between here and there I definitely got a whiff of warm and golden floating in the cold air, so that was smelling Thanksgiving. I walked past one of those uniquely Manhattanish churches, with the tall wrought-iron fence, the thick and well-tended grass, the smattering of brown leaves rolling across - it would be the Haunted Mansion if it were in Orlando, but since it's not, it was a chance to see Halloween. I don't know that I got anything specific as far as hearing goes, but Ben's parents very generously treated us first to our favorite Italian dinner and then to dessert at a French bakery, where I got a pumpkin tart, so that was definitely tasting both Christmas AND Thanksgiving. It was fun; such sensory experiences are always interesting to me, and in this particular setting they were especially pleasant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home