Thursday, October 12, 2006

12 Oct 06

Time:

I TRIED to check the timing of the trip from the gym stairwell to the corner of the park, but I got all involved with the telephone and forgot to check my watch again until I was about to get my lunch. Duh.

Money:

$12, soup, salad, and - you guessed it - tea, I'm not even going to say where.
$4, mocha, campus Starbucks.
$11, burger and shake, Johnny Rockets.

More interesting things:

Walked through the office with Professor Alpha before handing him back my portfolio and waiting to hear about an email Professor Number Four wanted me to see. Professor Alpha never found it, but I did get to mosey halfway down the hall with his arm around me, and to be honest I would have been just fine with staying there; it was like leaning against a warm and fuzzy (he was wearing a Bill Cosby-esque sweater) tree... you know, one of those trees that says "fuck" a lot.

Returned Professor Number One's book, but just barely - she was on her way out the door, but that meant I had the chance to chat with her as we left the building. She told me she's about to "announce that so-and-so is going to take over teaching such-and-such!" in this singsong voice that was cracking me up. Better than that, though, she had a Lord and Taylor bag in one hand and your sensible black leather pocketbook in the other, and between that and her long black coat, she was every inch (not that she's got many...) the prototype of the Older New York Lady.

Read from one of my textbooks and found that I could skip whole paragraphs, having already grown familiar with the research the author was talking about, and not from reading someone else's summary, either, thank you; I had read the original. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is just another indication that Professors Number One through Five (plus Alpha) are really on the ball.

Filled out a comment card at Starbucks after I blew a cold-and-congestion-related sigh as I waited for my coffee and immediately caught the sympathetic attention of the lady at the counter. We laughed and I told her that we always like going in there, because the people are so friendly and make us laugh almost every time, at which point we were effusively bowled into writing that down for the benefit of some folks in Seattle. Anne and I filled it out and sent it off (via the "damn mailbox"). Here's hoping it means something nice for those guys, because they really are cool.

Walked across Union Square to the train (since I was already halfway there after Johnny Rockets.) I love that you can dawdle through a craft market and listen to a better-than-decent jazz band just for trying to get home.

Got a good lead on a laundry from one of my doorman friends. Those guys know everything, and besides that it's good for a variety of reasons to know that I'm included on the list of stuff they know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home