Thursday, February 08, 2007

7 Feb 07

Time:

?

Money:

$4, usual breakfast, usual place.
$11, Kati Rolls for an early dinner, Kati Rolls (duh).
$150 (but that was from my mom!), Ugg Store.

More interesting things:

Got brought into a conversation with one of Roey's and Mellie's coworkers before the start of Professor Number Six's class on the observation that he's from Florida, too. We made the usual matching/narrowing geographical comments, starting with, "Oh yeah? What part?", moving on to "Uh, down south - Palm Beach County", continuing with "Oh [and a nod] - I graduated from Atlantic, the old Atlantic." This, of course, is where a very restrained version of the RJ Voice came in... but come on, that's weird. It was funny just to have the conversation, but then to think explicitly about a single classroom at a single university in a single state (located not very near to the state of origin) containing two people not just from the same county or town but the very same high school is a strange thing; I bet there weren't too many other rooms in that building featuring more than one graduate from a single out-of-state school.

Went to Professor Alpha's class just afterwards, of course, where we discussed the statistics involved with a quantitative study we read. I really like this part of things, of course - I enjoy how interpreting tables and charts and all can kind of get information into your head like a .zip file: streamlined delivery ready to expand many times over once it gets inside - but I don't think it was quite my classmates' favorite. This gave me the opportunity to talk for a minute about standard deviation in a way that a) might actually have helped one classmate get the idea a little better, b) caused Alpha to nod along with me for a second rather than the other way around, and c) got brought up again as a good example awhile later. This was all pleasantly unusual - I very much enjoy my own thoughts, of course, but they're not always especially striking for other people - and I was so glad to bring ten-year-old learning at the hands of Dr. Baum and Mr. Davis to another setting that I emailed both of them about it.

Made it, at last, to the Ugg Store, which was appropriately sheepy and warm, and left carrying my black fur boots past a young woman walking two dogs - one fluffy, ugly, and small, the other resembling very much a tricolor version of Jake. This second dog was really, really cool-looking, which I noted fairly loudly and more than once; when I stopped to look over my shoulder at him - he really was that nifty - and said it again, he looked over his shoulder, too. It was clear he knew I was talking about him, because his little Bichon friend paid no attention, and I'm glad he heard my compliment; usually the hairy brats get all the attention from people on the street, but this cool guy definitely deserved some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home