Tuesday, February 27, 2007

22 Feb 07

Time:

? (It was an insanely busy day, however, so the answer to this question is probably "too much" - I wouldn't have suffered if we had added a couple of hours to the day.)

Money:

?

More interesting things:

Sat across the train from a guy I had definitely noticed the day before, mostly because he looked so much like you would expect a yuppie guy to look that it was amusing; his almost-glowing silver wedding band - the only conspicuous thing about this person, besides his utter inconspicuousness - confirmed my Repeat Commuter Sighting. I think that makes three.

Attended a training with Professor Number Number Six and his lovely assistant, who happens also to be my friend and classmate. The conversation featured, at one point, an offer to trade chauffeur services on my part for registration and hotel for AERA on Number Six's part, and the observation that this would be like Driving Miss Number Six. Then we moved on to the actual point of having this whole training, at which point I discovered just how brain-dead some of our supervisors really are: first it was declared that an assessment had to be a paper-based test, and then it was overgeneralized (either rudely or stupidly) to the assertion that "Well, then just taking attendance and knowing how many students you have in your class is an assessment!" Oy. But I asked whether the instrument's purpose was to notice the achievements or the shortcomings of a student-teacher and got a nice response of question-complimenting, so that made me feel a little better....

Received a message Professor Alpha had left with the secretary asking me to call him at home. I probably should have restrained myself, but of course one of the first things I said on getting hold of him was that it's really okay for him to call my cell phone, at which point I was treated to his dismissive turkey-noises (although they did at least conclude with, "No, you're right, okay, you're right, you're right," which makes me laugh because to listen to him you would think I had yelled in his ear for ten minutes.) Later, when I couldn't find the fax cover sheet he'd asked me to send again, I called him back to check whether a number at the bottom of the list he wanted resent was the right one, so at least I got to chat again - this time about talking on an illegally-held cell phone, after calling his house and getting directions from his wife to call that number; it was a better conversation than the one in which I'd tried to correct his formal phone-call tendencies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home