Thursday, January 25, 2007

23 Jan 07

Time:

?

Money:

?

More interesting things:

Spotted another "God Buns" graffiti note; this one was visible from my perch at the red place but included, rather to my amazement, the words "Polite NY'ers" just below.

Discussed with one of my cohort-mates for just a minute what I'm actually doing this semester and was asked, "Do you know you have the BEST assistantship I've ever heard of?" I could only sort of laugh sheepishly in response, because of course I know damn well what the answer is.

Spelled out my email address for Professor Alpha once more and this time was asked what the "S" is for. I told him that because I'm not overly fond of the answer, it's a bigger secret than anything involving 70-year-old boyfriends, but that I'd tell him anyway. If I'd known what the response would be - "Hmm, Simone - that's... sexy..." - not only would I have shared that information weeks ago but I would have behaved as though my greatest wish had always been to switch first name for middle.

Stood in Professor Alpha's doorway shortly thereafter, just waiting for a minute to ask a question, and was drawn in, as seems to be the usual and exceptionally pleasant custom, to a conversation; since I was still standing - hanging, actually - in the door, I was instructed to sit down because I "don't have to lurk." (Needless to say, I explained that lurking is what I'm famous for, as the inhabitants of Norman Hall well know, but I also went ahead and sat down.)

Had my current situation summed up very nicely by Marisa as we hung out for a minute in the lobby: "The racehorse is now at full gallop." For this and many other reasons I'm glad that it appears we'll all be able to see each other more this semester than last.

Enjoyed quite thoroughly the chance to sit in on a faculty candidate dinner. It was not inexpensive by any means, but neither did it involve gratuitous cash-flash (well, university-plastic-flash) - we enjoyed two very nice bottles of wine because that's what everyone wanted, but shared appetizers and desserts (this last communally, may I add, as without little plates like the ones they set out for the first course, we resorted without comment to passing them around and taking a bite at a time) because that's also what everyone wanted. It seemed like a very fine example of genuinely appreciating a convivial and comfortable (and comfortably-funded) setting, and I might be misidentifying the whole thing, but I don't think so and I loved it.

Had occasion to announce, at dinner, that I am a fan of Law and Order. One of the faculty asked if I meant the original version or one of the new ones, so I explained my answer by mentioning how fond I am of Jerry Orbach and Sam Waterston; then, obviously, I had to avoid the gaze of Professor Number Seven for several minutes, as she had been on Professor Number Six's floor last Friday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home