Saturday, June 02, 2007

22 May 07

Time:

?

Money:

?

More interesting things:

Sat next to Professor Sierra Two at the first dissertation defense I’ve ever seen. This was fun partly because she kept gripping my shoulder with indignation and so on at some of the commentary around the important table, but also because when she asked whether I knew how to take pictures with a camera phone I said I could probably figure it out and she replied… “After that party for Alpha, I think you can do anything.” A long way to come with someone who couldn’t remember my name for quite awhile! She’s excellent.

Listened to Professor Sierra Two’s short speech over our millimeters of champagne in which she described the unfailing sense of community she found when she first got here back in the day; in particular, she mentioned how Professor Alpha and others had drawn her right into a project even though the whole time she was thinking to herself that she had no idea what she was doing. This is a habit, then, of the people around here, and it occurs to me now that the LTC has the same kind of habit; it occurs to me further that this is the way to help people develop competence at new and vaguely scary things: treat them like they already have it.

Got a big hug from Professor Kappa, who seems quite excited that I’m going to work with her on the new version of that project in the schools. Hey, I am, too – I think it’ll be great.

Sat taking dictation. Professor Alpha was emailing his strand or something, and he had a lot of things to say, so today I actually earned my pay and, as always, had fun doing it. I shouldn’t find typing so enjoyable, but….

Had a really, really nice couple of beers with Patrick. Here’s to lots more, man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home