Saturday, May 19, 2007

16 May 07

Time:

?

Money:

?

More interesting things:

Followed Professor Alpha to the drugstore. This is not the first time I've trotted after him, ear affixed firmly to one or the other of his shoulders - that's listening range - while the rest of my body dodged trees, cars, pedestrians, homeless people, strollers, and dogs, among other things to trip on, and not even the first time I've done that as we headed towards a place where audiences are generally unappreciated (the bank comes to mind.) And of course, it's not as if I haven't made many, many copies of what his insurance papers indicate are the sum total of his prescriptions. All the same, I have to admit to a speck-bit of relief when he announced, in an unrestrained tone, that he'd forgotten the new fucking prescription, fuck. Instead, we hunted down a particular brand of conditioner (no dice), a particular type of baby shampoo (not so much), and toothpick-thingies (and batted one-for-four; it was, however, an easy thousand in terms of amusement.)

Explained my interview assignment to Professor Alpha, who suggested that since I was in a situation where I'd have to interview Professor Number Five I ought to make it as Number Five-ish as possible. The thing I really appreciated was the time and genuine consideration he took in coming up with an opening question (one more demonstration of his concern for us and his membership in a familiar community), but the question itself was something I could really use: nothing to sneeze in that regard, either.

Hosted, partly, a particularly well-attended instance of the Social Corner. While Anne, Rebecca, and Annette all floated around, I messed with the Simpsons on Professor Alpha's computer and - more interestingly - answered his call to my cell, in which he asked whether I'd like an iced coffee. The answer, of course, was yes (it was disgustingly hot out, not that I wouldn't have taken it anyway), which was followed by questions for the remaining individuals. Would Anne like some? No, Anne just got one of her own. Okay, would Rebecca like some? No, Rebecca already has a jug of some iced beverage. How about Annette? No, Annette is working on a Pepsi. Just you and me, then? Yep, just you and me then, but thank you, and you're a lovely person. (That very last part I think I left off, but then again, maybe not....) This doesn't particularly go under the New Yorkers ARE Polite Campaign, but at this point - duh - it seems like the How Could You Miss the Community? Campaign is one I probably oughta start. (Its subtitle could be something like, "Concepts for a Dean with No Eyeballs.")

Watched as some Florida-worthy wind, rain, and green-sky made their arrival at the corner of Washington Place and Greene; chatted with Professor Alpha as he decided to sit back down rather than head at that moment for the subway. Eventually he determined that he'd just have to brave the weather, though, and I was grateful for his call announcing that he'd made it to the station and then to Grand Central for more than the usual hee!/familiarity reasons - it really was crazy out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home