Thursday, April 19, 2007

16 Apr 07

Time:

?

Money:

$4, I could guess, for breakfast, usual place.
$0, since Professor Alpha generously took me and the P.V. (Prospective Violet) to lunch, Apple.
$60, my own dinner and part of Anne's (since I owed her), Otto.

More interesting things:

Sat at my desk chatting with the P.V. when Professor Alpha arrived. In blowing past Professor Charlie's office, he stopped and made some reference to "not really retiring," to which I didn't attend much, since I figured it was just another goofy comment. Later on, though, at lunch, he said it again, and in a fairly serious tone of voice, so this time I interrupted and asked, as I positioned my ear right in front of him, what exactly he was talking about. The P.V. laughed and explained that I was waiting for his commitment, which caused him to laugh also and then add (whacking me in the arm), "Oh, she already knows I'm not going anywhere, I have to stay around to help her," so on and so forth. I interjected with a "YEAH," and in an aside (such as they are for the great growly-man) finished, "Uh, you're going to be helping me too... this is a two-way street here." So, question/hee! point #1: WHAT exactly did that mean? Because whatever it is, I am ready. Anyway, then Alpha actually got to continue with his point, something about a district job near where he lives now, which would be quite cool. Hee! point #2: if he gets that position, he REALLY can't go too far... praise be.

Typed "conversation" into my notes, apparently, and I'm sure there was a good reason, but whatever it was... that's what I get for being a slacker.

Remembered what that meant (duh, and it took me until the 20th.) Anyway, the reason I made a note of "conversation" was that - not that I can quite recall how it came up - as we were putting on our coats to leave lunch, Professor Alpha mentioned that "what I like about you [meaning me] is that you like to be part of the conversation." As I say, I can't think of exactly what spurred the comment, but I do know that the more general background was his (long, but interesting) explanation of the standards "debacle," as he calls it.

Enjoyed a really lovely dinner at Otto, including the part where my outstanding leadership skills inspired not one, not two, but THREE tables around us to follow in my knock-your-water-glass-across-the-table activities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home