Tuesday, September 26, 2006

26 Sep 06

Time:

?

Money:

$42, a non-purple (and largely nondescript, for that matter) school sweatshirt, but a) it does look pretty cool, I think, and b) I was FREEZING.
$5, Pepsi, yogurt, and fruit salad from... oh, I actually think I know the name: Epicurean Market, near school.
$8, the good-but-oniony salad I like so much, although it had some mild self-consciousness repercussions later.
$4, a big ol' mocha from campus Starbucks.
$13, an excellent gyro platter from... well, it starts with a "k," I'm pretty sure.

More interesting things:

Gave rather more thought than perhaps was strictly necessary in my most recent sweatshirt-purchasing decision. And I still really like the other black one with the REALLY bright purple letters on the front, the school name running down the arm, and "31" at the top of the hood. (I'm going into such detail so I remember which one it is I want next time I need to buy a largely superfluous garment.)

Watched from a comfortable chair in the Pless lounge as one of my classmates from the writing course drifted by the window and waved - and then turned around, planted herself directly in front of me, violently slapped one of our textbooks against the window, and drew her finger across her throat decapitation-style. First I had to control my laughter; then I gestured at my own copy of the book (though she probably didn't know that's what I was doing, since it was still in my bag... duh) and nodded furiously. It's good to know harassed graduate students will always find a way to express themselves, even if it's in sign language.

Watched some more from my chair in Pless, this time as a girl who looked like one of my best students from last year - Cassandra - breezed down WSq East. This was more uplifting than the time I thought I saw Jessica walking across Norman Field, because the chances of someone like Cassandra making it to a place like this are (unfortunately) much greater than the chances of someone like Jessica making it to a place like Florida, but it still made me feel weird. At the very least I wanted a chance to talk with both those kids, and Chris and Sam to tell them I always think of them when they play "Lean Wit It" at the gym, and Myia and Jonathan when I want to say "I don't caaaaare," and Damilia when I see someone with a slick hairdo, and....

Watched yet again as a girl in one of those REALLY bright orange-and-blue sweatshirts paraded down after the Cassandra look-alike. It made me wonder how many of us are here, and whether anyone down there knows (or cares) that in a fair number of people Gatorness has morphed into (or at least must co-exist with) Violetness... okay, Bobcatness. (But still: you're turning Violet, Albert!)

Talked with Professor Alpha (having finally left my chair) for a few minutes about Professor Bravo's plans for me. I do always enjoy talking to him, but next Tuesday - since that's when I have an actual REASON to lurk on his floor - I will NOT eat onions at lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home