Wednesday, August 29, 2007

29 Aug 07

Time:

Walking onto the local 0859, arrived Astor Place 0920 - and that's recorded mostly for old times' sake.

Money:

$4, some sort of latte convolution (I think it was grande skim vanilla), campus Starbucks.
$2, D.P., usual place.
$28, sushi, Kirara.

More interesting things:

Spotted, coming out of our lunch spot (known above as the "usual place), none other than Professor Alpha, the only person I've ever met who can get away with responding to my "I missed youuuuuu!" with not just a hug but an "I knooooow!" (It WAS fabulous to see him, of course.)

Went to a "staff orientation" thingy for that freshman class I'm teaching this term and found that - sorry, but it's true - the other people in my college (or at least a lot of the ones they send to do this frufy shit) are the finest examples of PUFFERY I've ever seen. Their responses to quotations from the class novel (that's essentially what it is) were SO fakely intellectualized they must be taking steroids for their IQs. "How am I going to explain this to an 18-year-old freshman/woman?" Are you fucking KIDDING me? First of all, the word is freshMAN - not freshmanS, as I've so often heard, and damn sure not freshWOMAN. Second - and more importantly - you're not going to explain SHIT, pally! Do you really KNOW what some comment about time being like moonlight means? Doubtful! Could you then do an effective job of spooning it back, since that appears to be your ever-so-forward-thinking goal? Even less likely! So go ahead and let your high horse trot on back to the barn - you sat on him for a long time this morning! - and try walking around on just two of the same kind of short human legs your students will be landing here with. Yeesh.

Helped Professor Alpha (and Professor Zulu, actually) out to his car in the most unfortunate incident of "moving out" yet - this time from his office. Snarl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home