Tuesday, June 05, 2007

5 June 07

Time:

About four minutes, between the time I stomped my way in just-missed-train irritation at a therefore unnecessarily high rate of speed down to my spot and the time I could see the next one apparently rising from the ground (that's what the glowing-red train number looks like when it's first coming down the tunnel.)

Money:

$5, yogurt and D.P. (the yogurt is not that fab here), the usual place.
$5, peanut butter bagel and D.P., the usual place.

More interesting things:

Crossed the street headed for the subway in front of a person who by all indications seemed to be a reasonably serious cyclist: helmet, gloves, tight shorts, the whole thing. If you looked right behind her, however, you could see that the milk crate attached to the back of the bike the way a delivery guy might have it came complete with not one but two small hairy white dogs. This was almost as good as the time I saw the biker-dude pup on the back of a moped-like thing on Washington Square South; it wasn't quite as silly, maybe, but it got part of that element we once captured in a picture of a grocery cart full of four or five little dogs that looked similar to the ones I saw today.

Scrolled down, accidentally, while reading an email from Professor Alpha, which is good because if I hadn't I would have missed the part where, in light of the fact that I "don't really work for" him any more, he double-thanked me for taking care of what he'd emailed about. I'd kind of been hoping that maybe he would, like, forget or something; it is technically the end of my appointment, but, as I've said before, I would pay them to let me keep soaking up the professor molecules. (Especially since those seem to be getting rarer and rarer 'round these parts.)

Got a lovely compliment about my "big" teaching voice from the equally lovely E.L. I hope I don't usually go around disturbing people just trying to, say, use the hallways, but I don't particularly know a better way to talk to a class! (And if I do disturb people with my voice... at least there's a great Professor Alpha precedent to follow.)

Read a very cute - and much anticipated - invitation to Professor Number One's Fourth of July party. The thing is... well, actually the "thing" is the same as always: the thing is, most of the people invited are other professors, their spouses, and Number One's personal non-work-related friends. And she invited us like there was never a second thought about it. Where else does this happen? Where? I want to know. Because that's where I'm going to work. And if I can't find it, I'll start it somehow. This kind of inclusion is a custom that must be carried on - I'm having a hard time imagining, at this point, what it might have been like otherwise... and I'm glad I can't come up with it, because one thing I do know is that would have been a far lesser experience. Far!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home